Part Time Motor Trade Insurance


The Institute of the Motor industry wants the Government to start licensing the automotive retail sector

New research done by the Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) has found that over 70% of motorists believe a licensing system for motor traders exists. With that in mind, it is the IMI’s belief that the Government should start putting licences in place. The study, performed on 2,600 British driving licence holders, showed there is a great amount of confusion for them surrounding qualifications of the people that work on their vehicles.


There is currently no regulations on individuals who work in the motor industry, yet 71% of drivers thought that motor traders would need a qualification to work in the industry.

There is an unwitting ignorance amongst motorists, 59% of whom said they would not let someone work on their car if they didn’t know what they were doing, though only 10% actually knew how to find a technician’s qualifications.

It is obvious that people are not aware of the facts, they could be putting their trust in a motor trader without knowing if they are capable of delivering the service. In 2011 there were over 3,000 crashes which were caused by vehicle defects as a result of inadequate maintenance.

With new technologies being put into cars, such as hybrid engines and driving assist systems, motor traders require even more skills to maintain these vehicles. If there isn’t the correct training in place, motorists could be put in danger.

IMI Want to Work With the Government

IMI says that their Accreditation and Professional Register would serve as a template for the Government to use. They already have thousands of motor traders signed up to their register and accreditation but there are 148,000 mechanics who they cannot speak for.

90% of the motor trade are in favour of a licensing system, so the IMI has stepped their plan into gear and have began seeking meetings with leaders of the political parties before the general elections next year.

If you would like some more information on Motor Trade Insurance or Part Time Motor Trade Insurance please visit Think now.

get a cheap insurance quote

Share this...Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

Why You Should Start a Part Time Motor Trade Business

Starting your own part-time motor trade business can be a great way to make money. It has many advantages over a full-time business and can even start turning a profit much sooner, especially if the outgoings are low.

Valeting The Car

There are many areas of the motor trade that you can choose to work in, such as becoming a car valeter, a mechanic, a car park jockey, or you could buy and sell cars – just to name a few.

Setting up your business on a part–time basis may mean you have lower outgoings or overheads, and therefore allows you to save money. Also, because it’s part-time, it means you have more time for any other occupations or jobs you may have, and means you have the flexibility to fit work in around any other commitments that you may have.

Here are a few of the best reasons why it is a good idea to start up a part-time motor trade business:

1. You Can Work Your Own Hours

With a part-time motor trade business, you have flexibility to work when you want. You get to decide what hours your business will operate. If you have another occupation, you can fit your motor trade business around it. There may be certain times when you have to work specific hours, such as visiting auctions, but you can decide how and when you operate.

2. Cheaper Start-up Costs

Being part-time you may decide to operate your business on a mobile basis, meaning that you won’t need a fixed place of business to work out of. As such, you won’t need to pay a deposit, rent or utilities – allowing you to save money, get the right equipment for your business and clear your overheads quickly.

3. You Can Try Your Hand Before Committing

Part-time businesses can be a great way to get started in the motor trade. It gives you a great opportunity to test the water without having to make too much commitment determining whether you can make a success of it. If your part-time business is such a success that you then want to start a full-time business, you will then be in a better position to do so, as you’ll already have some experience, as well as (hopefully) some profit.

To Start a Part-Time Motor Trade Business You Will Need:


If you have previous experience of working in the motor trade then you should already have the necessary skills in place. However if you are setting up the business as a new venture, and you haven’t worked in the industry before, then you will need to make sure you have the relevant training and/or experience before setting your business up.

A Vehicle

You will need to visit auctions, potential stock, or customers etc, so you may need access to a car or other transport options to get you to and from your destination.


The correct equipment will save you time and make you money. If you already have the equipment before setting up the business, then this will help, however if you don’t, then second hand equipment may be cheaper and sufficient to get your business started.


By law (if you wish to drive vehicles) you will need motor trade insurance and it wouldn’t hurt to get liability insurance as well. Cover for your tools, stock and equipment, which if stolen or damaged could cost you thousands and bring your business to a halt, is worth considering as well.

Think Insurance are professional providers of both motor trade insurance and part time motor trade insurance. Want to learn more? View our motor trade insurance FAQ page here.

get a cheap insurance quote

Share this...Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

What do I Need to Start a Mobile Mechanic Business?

Starting a Mobile Mechanic business can be quicker, cheaper and easier than starting with a garage at a premises. The start-up costs will be cheaper and you can work the hours that suit you. A mobile mechanic’s business offers much more flexibility and you can invest as much time into it as you want. To help you start your business we have put together the following tips and advice that you may find useful:

To get things started you’ll need:

  • Vehicle technician training
  • Tools, and room to store them
  • Home office/filing system for customer invoices and information
  • A vehicle
  • Motor traders insurance


To work as a Mobile Mechanic you will need the correct form of training, which if you haven’t already had you can get as part of an apprenticeship, in college, or through on the job training with another mechanic or garage.

Scope the Competition

Before you get started with your new business, it is a good idea to scope out the competition in your area; are there any other mobile mechanics? If so, will you be able to compete with them? Find out what they charge so you can offer a competitive rate and see if you can offer any different or specialist services that the others do not offer. It is always better to be able to stand out from the competition. Where and how do they advertise? Where do they get their clients from? Try and find out as much as you can to help you decide how to set up your business to give you the best possible chance of success.

Use Social Media, Flyers or Local Advertising

Social media is a simple yet effective way of letting friends, family and complete strangers know about your business and any promotions, discounts or special offers you want to offer your potential customers. Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn will notify potential customers that you are in business and they should use your service. Handing out flyers and local advertising will also work as a way of getting the word out about your business. You could get your company name, website address and contact details put on your vehicle to help boost awareness. You could even use your skills to get involved in the community by doing some demonstrations for free at a local event, which would get the word out about your business.

Tools and Room to Store Them

Obviously you’ll need to get the correct tools to start your business. Chuck, here will give you a hand on some of the tools you’ll need to get started.

You’ll also need somewhere to store them, whether that be your own home/garage or a rented unit.

Get the Right Insurance

By law you’ll need motor trade insurance once you start operating as a business if you intend to drive vehicles. You will also need liability cover to protect your business. You could also get added on extras such as tool insurance – which will help you should your tools be stolen or damaged and get you back up and running as quickly as possible.

For Mobile Mechanic’s insurance or any other form of Part Time Motor Trade cover go to Think Insurance.

get a cheap insurance quote

Share this...Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

What Does Parking Jockey Insurance Cover?

The stalwart of many a restaurant, hotel, airport and casino, the parking jockeys or airport jockeys come into contact with many different cars with differing values, sizes and engines. Though they do not spend a lot of time in these cars, or drive too far, the risk of an accident is always there.

Required By Law

Insuring yourself as a parking jockey may feel unnecessary, but it is actually required by law to have the correct insurance if you drive even the shortest distance on the road.

Any short journey or movement on the road needs proper insurance to protect the vehicle. Parking jockeys drive very short distances yet still need to be covered in case of an accident. It is also exceedingly important for the parking jockey to have insurance that will cover the variety of cars they will drive, some may be of a higher value or differing performances, and that will need to be accounted for.

What Will Parking Jockey Insurance Offer?

Parking jockey insurance covers the jockey should an accident occur. A vehicle indemnity can be set so that you are covered up to the level you need (some contracts will mean you need a higher level of cover). This means reversely that you may also be able to set your cover level lower and therefore save money.

Your insurance policy can offer Road Risks, Parking Risks and Liability Cover. It should also include the standard things you would expect to see in your motor trade policy (although there may be some restrictions/exclusions that are extra), plus some additional features that you may require such as:

  • Public & Employee Liability cover
  • Split Indemnity
  • Multiple Driver cover
  • Multi Premises cover
  • Vehicles at Premises cover

Think Insurance Parking Jockey Insurance

Think Insurance are a leading motor trade insurer. We can offer road risk, parking risk and liability insurance – all important for a parking jockey. We can offer flexible payments and cover.

get a cheap insurance quote

Share this...Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

Can Part Time Motor Trade Insurance Really Meet My Needs?

Taking out a part-time motor trade insurance policy canoffer you the same options as a full time motor trade insurance policy.

Motor Trade Road Risk insurance is a must for anyone that intends to drive a customer’s vehicle. Whether it’s picking a car up from auction, test driving it, or dropping it off at a customer’s house, Road Risk insurance is a necessity. Similarly, if your business involves interacting with customers including having clients visit your business premises, then Public Liability insurance is definitely worth considering.


Photo by Torbakhopper / CC By

There are a number of optional policy extras available, such as Sports Vehicle cover, Demonstration cover or Premisescover. Likewise, if you use specialist tools and equipment for your part-time business, then you can add Tools cover to your policy to protect these against theft, loss or damage.

Anyone working in the motor trade on a part-time basis should understand that a private car insurance policy is not sufficient, and will not cover customer’s vehicles while they are in your possession. Therefore, it is vital that you take out a part-time motor trade insurance policy, to protect you against any losses from incidents involving your customers’ vehicles while in your possession.

If business is going well and you decide to employ others to help you with the additional work, then Employers’ Liability insurance is a legal requirement. If you do not have this in place, then you are not only breaking the law, but also putting your business in danger should anything happen. Employers’ Liability insurance covers claims for injury or death of any employees, and due to legislation introduced last year, you could be fined up to £2,500 PER DAY for as long as you do not have it in place – and to make matters worse, HRMC can back date this for as far as they can prove your business has had employees!

Furthermore, if your employees are going to be driving customers’ vehicles, then they will need to be added to the Road Risk policy – whichwill protect both you and your employees should an accident happen and a claim be made.

Demonstration Cover is an important extra to consider when buying or selling cars as it allows a potential customer to test drive your vehicles, which could be the difference between making a sale and not.

If your business grows and you feel the time is right to run your motor trade business full time you can always change your policy to a full time motor trade insurance policy – just call you broker for more details.

For a cheap and high quality part-time motor trade insurance policy, get in touch with a member of the Think Insurance team today.


get a cheap insurance quote

Share this...Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on RedditShare on Tumblr